You see a famous local restaurant popping up on your google search results page every time you search for “restaurant near me”. Wondering how you can get your business shown up in a similar fashion? Let’s dive into it!
What is Google My Business?
According to Google: “Google My Business is a free tool that allows you to promote your Business Profile and business website on Google Search and Maps. With your Google My Business account, you can see and connect with your customers, post updates to your Business Profile and see how customers are interacting with your business on Google.” Source
Business profile, what’s that?
Currently, there are about 2 trillion searches happening per day on Google. That’s a lot of opportunities don’t you think? And guess who gets the most benefit from these searches? That’s right, it is the websites that rank on the top of the SERP (Search Engine Results Page).
Also, Google SERP now includes Featured snippets, Knowledge panel, and Business Profiles along with these links depending upon the search query which has opened up opportunities for small businesses to increase their visibility.
Your Business Profile helps you in appearing where it matters the most – on the top of the SERP when your potential customer is searching for you. The best part, it’s FREE!
Sounds interesting! How can I create my Business Profile?
Here’s how you can create your free business profile:
- Click here to open the Business Profile page. Click on “Get Started” to initiate the business profile creation process.
2. Enter the name of your business and the category it belongs to (bakery, marketing agency etc.) and click “Next”.
3. Click on “Yes” if you have a physical store or office you want your customers to visit whenever they search for your business else click “No”. Enter your address and click “Next”.
4. Enter the region where your business operates and click “Next”.
5. Enter the contact details and the link to your website (if you have one). Click “Next”.
6. Click on “Yes” to get updates and recommendations regarding your google business profile (recommended) and then click “Next”.
7. Enter your mailing address (registered address for your business) for Google to verify if you are actually the owner of the business. Google will send a mail with a code that you’ll have to enter in your Business profile to verify. Click “Next”.
Your Free Google My Business Profile is now ready! As you can see in the snapshot below, you get tons of options to add your business-related information which you want to convey to your existing as well as potential customers. You can add business hours, description, news related to your business.
You’ll also find many options on the left panel like insights (business insights based on customer interactions), reviews (reviews received by your customers), messages, photos and so on which are crucial for any business to grow its potential customer base.
How Is This Beneficial For You?
According to a study by Google, “50% of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day”. The sad part is that a vast chunk of local businesses has not claimed their free Google My Business account!
Here’s how your free Business profile can be beneficial especially for small businesses who don’t have any digital presence yet or don’t have a solid website in place:
The free business profile lets you connect with your existing customers across Google Maps and Google Search! What’s more, you get to know about what your customers feel about your business through the reviews and user-generated content that they can post on your business profile.
You can upload photos and showcase information related to special offers or USPs which gives you an opportunity to convert potential customers to real ones!
Stay Connected With Customers
Your customers get multiple doorways to reach you. They can call, message or leave reviews about their experience with your business which leads to more opportunities for your business to grow!
Enhance Local SEO
Your Business profile listing plays a vital role in Local SEO. This means that customers in your locality, who are searching for products/services similar to yours, get to see your business pop up on their search results.
Oh! did I forget to mention that there’s an app for Google My Business too! That’s right, download the app to create your account and update business information on the go – anytime, anywhere!
Hope this answers your queries on the magical tool called Google My Business. Need help in growing the online presence for your business? Let’s talk!